Monday, June 18, 2007

Trust

So the topic of the day is trust. I think there are certain types of trust that I'm not very good at. Or rather, I KNOW that there are kinds of trust that I don't exhibit, and that I sometimes wish I did. Believing people when they tell me about themselves or about situations isn't difficult and, (most of the time) if someone tells me they'll do something, I'll rely on them to do it.

The problem is that I don’t trust humanity, or human nature. I don’t trust people to really love. I somehow think that there is the capacity to love - I just don’t believe that people actually do love. So when it comes to relationships, and trusting that the other person is not trying to hurt me, I have problems. I a) think that at the first sign of a problem, they will run, and b) that these “problems” are my fault. When hurtful comments are made, when someone retracts their previous words or actions, when someone appears to be avoiding me, etc., I unfairly put the fault of the cause upon myself, but the fault of the ensuing fight upon them. I get upset with them for not understanding me and what I’m trying to say, but the reality is that there’s just as much misunderstanding on my part as on theirs.

Afterwards, of course, I feel badly about my own words and actions, and then come to the conclusion that the other person is so upset with me that they simply won’t want to deal with me anymore. I don't trust their desire to be my friend. I don't trust them to want to work on a relationship. I don't trust them to be able to handle conflict. I don't trust their willingness to accept me as an imperfect human. And not only is that unfair to them, but it is unfair to me.

I'm trying to understand the underlying cause of this. Is it narcissism? Am I so caught up with myself that I can't see any life situation outside of myself that could possibly be affecting someone else? Is it a derivative of narcissism: an extremely low opinion of myself that drives me to assume that I am always the problem? Or is it simply that enough of my past relationships have failed that I come to the conclusion that I am doing something wrong? I don't know.

So now I’m stuck. My beliefs about humanity are necessary for my theology and for the rest of my life. And yet it hurts any and all relationships that I’m in. It seems that no matter if I put my trust in peoples’ good will, or if I put it in their inability to truly love, I end up hurt. And I realize that it’s not necessarily one or the other. But it seems that the former is preferable. How does one learn to trust in that way?

1 comment:

~moe~ said...

Trust yourself first. Believe in yourself and your capacity to love. Believe that you are doing right in your life. If humanity or the people you love are open to love as you are, they will also be open to working through any problems you think may be caused by you. 99% of the time it's not going to be you and even that other 1% won't be you either. Believe in you and the rightness you do (not the fault you think you do).
How's the song go? Free your mind and the rest will follow... :)