Friday, June 22, 2007

Adaptation out of Need

There's a song on the radio that fascinates me and I looked up the music video to it. It's "Older I Get" by Skillet. Part of it reads:

"The time between those cutting words built up our defenses. Never made no sense, it just made me hurt. Do you believe that time heals all wounds? It started getting better, but it's easy not to fight when I'm not with you. The older I get, will I get over it? It's been way too long for the times we missed, I didn't know then it would hurt like this. But I think the older I get maybe I'll get over it. It's been way too long for the times we missed; I can't believe it still hurts like this."

Now before you start thinking that I'm a silly 24-year-old who thinks she's getting old or who thinks she has too much pain to work through, hear me out as to why this is interesting to me. It was not so much the words in and of themselves, but the video they put to it. Almost the entire video showed the band having a good time with one another. They were in relationships with one another that obviously meant a great deal to them and were encouraging and fun. So this made me think about how life works. There are so many things that cause such a great deal of pain, and some of them we never move beyond. We adapt and we live with whatever scar was given, but people and events become a permanent part of our lives. And yet, with all of that pain, we continue to love. We continue to seek people out. We continue to laugh and sigh and be content and, yes, even happy. I find that amazing.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Who needs to blog more now?

Hope we can find time to talk this week. I miss walking and talking with you. I guess I will just settle for talking.

ubiquitous said...

I find it refreshing to see a spin on the usual response to life. All too often people ask: "With all the love that's out there, why is there so much pain?" Or rather, "There's so much pain--we need to love MORE!!!"

But rarely is the opposite idea expressed: "[With] all of that pain, we continue to love." How much more encouraging of a message would that be? With all the pain in the world, the Church, inasmuch as it can, continues to love.

That's a sermon that doesn't get preached often enough.

Anonymous said...

good day dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been searching allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices seeking the boots were about 240 bucks everwhere. But finally I bring about this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy these. what do you think?