Thursday, June 21, 2007

This is my prayer, that your love may overflow

Tonight I was at a sort of derivative of a worship service. It was a service to send off everyone going to Mexico next week for a mission trip. And a man was talking about how wonderful it is that we're giving so much to the people of Juarez. How we're giving a week of our lives to build homes and rework plumbing and electrical wiring and such. Yes, we are saints indeed. God must certainly be pleased with each and every one of us.

Isn't it our call as Christians to do this? Maybe not in Mexico, but anywhere? And maybe not to build houses, but to serve in whatever capacity that might be, whether that is psychological, physical, etc.? We should not be praised for this; we should be doing this as an automatic reaction to the faith that has been given us by God. We are to serve not for the sake of our glorification, and not for the sake of converting people, but because God is working through us for the sake of the world.

This brought me to thinking about this another way, though. If it is our duty, which is what I have been taught since birth, then it seems that there is automatically a weight that comes with it. I HAVE to do this. It becomes a burden, and not a joyful reaction. And that is how I'm feeling about this trip right now. I have absolutely no desire to leave for Juarez on Saturday. It's hard for me to care about the people we're going there to serve, or to care about the youth that I will be serving as a leader. It's hard for me to care about others in general right now. And I hate that, but don't know what to do about it. I have been pushed into a trip that I never wanted to participate in in the first place, and so everything that has gone into it has been full of resentment for me. I am spiteful towards those who love me instead of figuring out how to serve them best. What is that? Why is that? These things, again, should be something that I do because God has called me to it - not because I am an ungrateful child who has been forced or because my heart is so spectacular. How does one go from resentment of the burden to reveling in the joy of giving? Where is the line between human nature and the reality of sin...and that of the work of God in and through us?

No comments: