Sunday, May 27, 2007

Running Headlong into the Thud

So I love cartoons - always have. My parents still save the Sunday comics for me and send them up once in a while. And every so often there is one that just speaks to life more than others. I tried to upload one of them here, but it was too big, and being the not-computer-literate person that I am, I am going to have to describe it for you. So imagine Charlie Brown and Lucy standing in the field, Lucy with football in hand. And Lucy says to Charlie Brown...

"The whole trouble with you is you don't trust anyone!"
"Look...every year you pull the same trick on me...you say you're going to hold the ball while I kick it, but you never do! You always pull it away, and I land flat on my back! Every year you pull the same trick! EVERY SINGLE YEAR!"
"Listen, Charlie Brown, if you're going to get along in this world, you have to learn to be TRUSTING...anyone can trust someone who's trustworthy...I'm giving you a chance to learn to trust someone who is NOT trustworthy!"
"You're right..I've got to learn to be more trusting...you hold the ball, and I'll kick it..."

He runs with great speed.

"SHE DID IT AGAIN!" (As she pulls out the ball and he goes flying.)

WHAM! (thud.)

She looks down at him lying on the ground and says, "See you here again next year?"


THAT cartoon is my life. I chose to put that one on my board, not so much because of it's funniness, but as a reminder to me. I continuously get myself into the same situations. And I always fall flat on my back. And for some reason, just like Charlie Brown, I can't seem to force myself to do otherwise. I consciously "know" the outcome. I can explicitly tell you all of the repercussions. And yet, I can't do anything different, even if my life depended on it. And on top of that, just like the cartoon, both Charlie Brown and Lucy KNOW that this will happen again the following year. It's not even a question. Why is that? I think the process of running headlong into that elusive ball is just way too much fun.

So maybe by having this cartoon on my board, if I happen to look at it before entering once again onto the football field, I'll at least contemplate the headache from the fall. Maybe? Nope. Probably not.

By the way, I learned today that Tide pens get communion wine out of white confirmation gowns. Good to know, yes?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a good cartoon. I like Charlie Brown...partly because there's often a philosophical meaning behind the cartoon, that not everybody catches.

And I've never used a Tide pen, but I was told to put one in my wedding day emergency kit, because someone recently attended a wedding and the bride got her lipstick on her dress before the pictures even started. So it will be on my list. :)

Randi said...

OK...I was signed in with the wrong address before...this one should have a link to my actual profile. :)

~moe~ said...

Tide pens rock. Charlie rocks more.
Thanks for the note on my blog! I look forward to reading more here in the future! It was fun to re-meet you this weekend. Have fun at the InfoDesk!

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.